Harmony

You know the drill. I'll be now taking about another fundamental Principal of Design which is Harmony. I find this aspect the most interesting since it's all about achieving coherence. Harmony is basically a visually satisfying effect of combining similar or related elements. And to show you the closest example of Harmony, I have tried an Installation art this time. For those of you who don't know, Installation art refers to a large scale, mix media construction, which is often designed for a specific place or for a temporary period of time. Sounds interesting right? Let's have a look at it then!

For any design here has to be an inspiration, a story or a good concept behind it. And similarly, for my Installation art, I wanted to display the concept of 'Dual Personality' through Abstract art. I wanted to show the contrast in our personalities, where one side of our personality is what we show to everyone and the other part is which we try to hide from the society. Keeping this concept and fundamentals of Harmony in mind, I decided to use Analogous color scheme, which involves three colors that are positioned next to each other on the color wheel. This color scheme has a low contrast combination and is the most harmonious one. Also, I decided to use cardboard and printed colored sheets to keep the texture of the installation in Harmony too. And the last aspect that I decided to keep in harmony were the shapes. So, now let's look at the process that went into making this installation art without wasting anymore time!

Starting off, I first collected my main materials, which were colored sheets and cardboard!


Then I began off with by disassembling the cardboard boxes to make the design that I had in my mind.



As I kept moving forward, I was able to draw, cut and recreate my design step by step! This was a time taking process but it was definitely worth it!


Once, I was done with the cutouts, I started putting it all together to see the final look. Here, in the picture I am trying to assemble the whole composition temporarily. However, on a side note, I initially thought of hanging all these pieces individually from the roof or something, but due to the lightweight of the cardboard and small individual pieces, they just kept floating around which made them impossible to work with. So, I decided to do this on a wall instead!


This was the final look achieved of my whole Installation art. It was time to put some colors into it now!


Once, I was satisfied with the overall look of my artwork, I pasted my color sheets according to the cutouts of the cardboard and started arranging the final pieces on the wall. Here, you can see me struggling with it! (The pieces just kept falling)


And finally, as I said in the beginning, this was time taking but definitely worth it! You can see how my Installation Art finally looks after all the struggle. You can also see how there's harmony in colors, shapes and the texture. However, I must say, after the colors it doesn't appear to be as 3D I'd like it to be, but yes I did try my best.











Comments