Recreating A Garment

Now this is going to be an interesting post. As the name suggests this blog will be about a garment that I have recreated keeping the concept of 3R's in my mind.  The main motive of this blog is to show how we can repurpose or upcycle the garments that we or our family and friends no longer wear. All that is needed to recreate a garment is 1tbsp of creativity and an unused garment. So let's get started and look at what I have tried to recreate here. Also, to make this post more interesting, I have tried to keep my visuals interesting.

So, the first step towards recreation was obviously about picking a garment. For this, I decided to go with my brother's old shirt that he no longer wears.


With this shirt I was hoping and planning to make something for myself. As my second step I took out a panel from shirt according to the length of the top that I was planning to make. 


Well, can you think of the direction I am going in? If you think long enough you'll find so many designs that you can actually make out for yourself with this piece of  shirt panel. But what did I do? I decided to make a shirred top. So, obviously my next step was giving this panel the shirred effect. But as I was new to stitching, I took a bit of help from my mom for this particular part.


And once we were done with stitching, I had with me my shirred tube top.


Looks pretty good right? But I did feel that I can do something more with it. So, for the next part I took out the fabrics that I either dyed or printed in my surface exploration classes and decided to put them in use and make this top look more interesting! 


So, as you can see, this print is something that turned out to be a total fail! The color that I choose for the print was hardly visible on the surface of a dark colored fabric. That's why I decided to make pleats or frills out of it for my top. And here's what I did!


Once I had the frills, I attached them to my main bodice. And now all that I was left with now were the straps to give this elastic shirred top a nice support. So, I picked a nice dyed sample that I did in my surface class and converted into straps.


The last step was simple, I just had to attach the straps and then I had my final product with me. And soo, here is the final look of my recreated garment!! 


So, you guys see how simple and easy it is to recreate and turn something old and useless into something new and usable? This project was really fun to go with. Not only did I create something new for me to wear but also on a positive note, contributed in protecting out environment. And even you can do this, all you have to start with is a garment that you no longer wear!
Do let me know what do you guys think about it in the comments below.






















Comments

  1. Wow the pictures look soo professional... what a wonderful top 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This is so beautiful and creative.. I would really love to try this😍😍 and I think it's high time that we all think about sustainability and reuse, recycle everything and anything that we possibly can..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing ❤️❤️ Creativity level πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful experiment and your tie and dye skill is wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emphasis And Contrast

Minimalism